Summary of the Job:
The Properties Carpenter is responsible for completing projects having to do with the construction, restoration, or modification of furniture, set dressing, and hand props using a variety of materials and methods. They are also responsible for maintaining the organization and functionality of the carpentry shop.
Requires very strong carpentry skills as well as experience with welding, upholstery, furniture construction and repair. Sewing, computer graphic and craft skills are desired as well. Time management and the ability to work independently are a must.
- Build necessary furniture/set dressing/hand prop pieces needed for a production using a variety of tools, materials and techniques.
- Repair and/or modify stock items needed for a production.
- Assemble, prepare and deliver rehearsal and/or show props to designated rehearsal or theater spaces on a daily basis.
- Respond to daily rehearsal and show reports as needed.
- Maintain cleanliness in shops.
- Maintenance of tools and supplies in the work area
- Help improve and maintain organization of stock.
- Work within the department to constantly improve and upgrade facilities
- Assist with all load-ins, set dressing calls, technical rehearsal calls, and strikes.
- Assist other artisans with projects when needed.
- Carry out other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by direct supervisor or management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong carpentry and welding skills a must.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience as a Properties Carpenter in a LORT theater or equivalent.
- Skill in crafts, painting, soft goods, computer graphics, and electronics a plus.
- Ability to read and comprehend plans or renderings and fabricate a prop from them without supervision
- Intermediate knowledge of power tools, building materials, and hardware used in a professional carpentry setting (i.e. table saw, sliding compound miter saw, screw gun/drill, router, pneumatic staplers/nailers, sanders, drill press, jigsaw and skill saw).
- Physically capable of climbing ladders, scaffolds, and able to balance, crawl, crouch and kneel.
- Must be able to lift, pull, push and carry 50lbs. or more.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes weekdays, weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Willing and able to walk and stand for long periods of time
- Valid drivers license.
- Exceptional attention to detail with strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to multitask under pressure, with a positive, pro-active problem-solving attitude.
Compensation will be competitive with similar positions throughout the country. Benefits include: Housing, medical insurance after 90 days, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan after 90 days.
Interested parties please send resume and photos of work to:
Helen Stratakes: Props Master -email@example.com
Camille Davis: Director of Production -firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: Although BarterTheatrehas attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, BarterTheatrereserves the right to change the same, including to change, add, or to subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of BarterTheatre, at any time, with or without advance notice.
Summary of the Job:
- Properly clean, set up and organize the dressing rooms, change booths, and wardrobe room
- Assist actors with dressing and quick changes
- Assist with laundry, dry cleaning, and maintenance of all costumes, wigs, and costume crafts items
- Assist with load in and strike
- Attend rehearsals and photo calls as requested
- Other duties as assigned
Two years higher education in theatre arts, or one year professional back stage experience.
- Basic sewing – hand and machine
- Laundry and stain removal
- Proficiency with laundry machines, irons, sewing machines, steamers. Willingness to learn to operate a dry cleaning machine
- Basic wig maintenance
- Basic stage makeup
- Proven communication and diplomacy
- Valid driver license and clean driving record. Reliable transportation encouraged but not required.
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs., climb stairs, remain standing for long periods of time, work in the dark
Disclaimer: Although Barter Theatre has attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, Barter Theatre reserves the right to change the same, including to change, add, or to subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of Barter Theatre, at any time, with or without advance notice.
Barter Youth Academy Instructor
Barter Youth Academy (BYA) in Abingdon, Virginia is seeking energetic, passionate, and skilled instructors for our growing programs in Abingdon VA., Bristol, TN., Johnson City, TN. Kingsport, TN., and Marion, VA.! Successful candidates will have at least two (2) years of teaching experience with one or more of the following class levels: Kindergarten, Elementary, Middle School, or High School, with a fluent working knowledge of theater (stage-direction experience as a plus).
The position will involve teaching students in Kindergarten, Elementary, Middle or High School fundamental and intermediate acting/stage skills. The position will involve 1 to 3 hours of class-time per week (during an 8 week workshop period), and also putting together a final “demonstration” performance at the end of the course which will include minimal light, sound, costume, props, and set design. Some community outreach is included with job duties.
Successful candidates must be self-reliant, motivated, adaptable, and willing to receive and implement input from the Artistic Director and Associate Director of BYA. Strong class-management skills are imperative as well. Reliable transportation and willingness to commute are a must.
This position is paid by a flat-fee per class taught.
Please send cover-letter and resume/C.V. to email@example.com
Assistant Scenic Artist
Summary of the Job:
- The Scenic Artist Assistant works in under, and in conjunction with the Scenic Artist in painting and sculpting sets/ scenes as well as other duties as assigned by the artist or Technical Director.
- Maintain scenic tools and equipment in a clean and orderly fashion
- Scenic painting under supervision of Scenic Artist
- Report safety and staff issues to supervisor
- Must attend all paint calls
- Must show up for paint calls on time and ready to work
- Job may require heavy lifting, ladder work, and long hours
- Additional jobs may be assigned by Scenic Artist or Technical Director
- Light Carpentry Duties as assigned by the Scenic Artist or Technical Director
- Formal and/or Advanced Artistic Training
- Knowledge of all aspects of scenic painting and sculptural techniques
- Willingness to perform job correctly and guide others to do so
- To retain up to date materials knowledge of materials and techniques
- Ability to work independently and with others
Caspar Eichin :firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: Although Barter Theatre has attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, Barter Theatre reserves the right to change the same, including to change, add, or to subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of Barter Theatre, at any time, with or without advance notice
AEA Stage Manager
Barter Theatre (founded 1933) — a full-time, year-round AEA resident repertory company of theatre artists, a founding member of LORT, and located in historic Abingdon, Virginia, is seeking a qualified AEA Stage Manager for their production of AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’ for the Gilliam Stage at Barter Theare. AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’ will run in a stock slot in Barter’s 2018 season from August 17 – September 8. Rehearsals begin July 27 and start date for the SM will be July 20.
The AEA Stage Manager facilitates and runs a smooth, productive rehearsal process for actors and production staff and maintains a consistent, smoothly called show during performances. The Stage Manager is responsible for maintaining the artistic intentions of the Director and the Producing Artistic Director from rehearsals through the run of the show. The AEA Stage Manager reports to the Production Stage Manager, the Director of Production and ultimately to the Producing Artistic Director.
Historic Barter Theatre offers a wide variety of productions including world premieres, developing new works, musicals, and classics in two theatre spaces. We value a collaborative work environment.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and references to Cindi Raebel, Production Stage Manager, c/o Barter Theatre, PO Box 867, Abingdon, VA 24212 or
BARTER THEATRE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
We’re seeking a dynamic, experienced Events Planner to work closely with the Development team to achieve the organization’s annual fundraising goals. This key F/T position is responsible for planning, supporting and marketing all private events and meeting functions in support of donor base expectations while meeting budgetary guidelines. Maintains ongoing relationship with guests. Assist in project management and implementation of contracts and agreements.
1. Establishes and maintains positive client relationships.
2. Coordinate event(s) with all appropriate departments.
3. Responsible for menu planning; food & beverage, set-up, decorations, and other services as required; assures that all requirements are communicated and completed to specifications.
4. Ensures competitive pricing meets budgeting guidelines, payments made on a timely bases, and is properly coded.
5. Ensures a pleasant event for all attendees; maintains effective guest relations.
6. Works with Advancement team to implement the annual operational plan.
7. Manage daily development tasks including fielding inquiries, assisting advancement team, setting and attending meetings, preparing reports and other correspondence, tracking statistics, thanking donors and supervising volunteers.
8. Coordinates the mid-level donor list including renewals, benefits, and recognition.
9. Work closely with the Database Manager to understand procedures and systems to maintain proper donor records, ensure best practices for gift receipting and tracking, ensure timely acknowledgments, and ensure reconciliation with the business department.
10. Performs special projects delegated by management.
11. Stays updated on latest developments pertinent to the department as well as the location.
The successful candidate must demonstrate professionalism and discretion, excellent project management skills, good problem-solving skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment in an organized and detail-oriented way. Excellent communication, customer service, and organizational skills, attention to detail, drive and self-motivation. Must possess willingness to learn and perform new and existing services and tasks as necessary. Flexibility with schedule with evenings and weekend work required.
Submit resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to email@example.com. EOE. No phone calls, please.
Job Type: Full-time
Salesforce and/ or other donor database software: 3 years
Event Planning: 3 years
non-profit development: 1 -3 years